Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Government shutdown

I don't watch the news.  I rarely watch any tv at all and when I do, it will be something from the dvr that I can skip through and just watch the actual show.  I do, however, use my computer nearly every day (not to view the news, usually).  It was just a coincidence that I happened to be looking up Yosemite NP on the last day of September and that's how I found out about the government shutting down.  I was shocked and a bit sick to my stomach, to say the least.  All those people that this will negatively effect...loss of jobs and incomes, canceled vacations that have been anticipated possibly for an entire lifetime.

Dreams are wonderful things to have and it just breaks my heart to think of the people that worked hard and saved only to arrive at one of our National Parks and be greeted with a closed sign.

My family is very fortunate, we haven't been devastated by the shutdown, we have been merely let down by it.  I am disappointed that it even happened...but also disappointed that because of it, places that are supposed to belong to the public are being locked away from the very same public.  From us and from you.  It's just not right and to be honest it makes me mad.

Whoa...I didn't plan for this post to go there, but I won't apologize for it either.  It's how I feel.

When I started this post, I had planned to just tell ya'll how the government shutdown has changed our plans and that we are making the best of it.  We were all set to visit Gettysburg last week, but that didn't happen because it was closed.  This week we had plans to visit some NP sites in the northeastern corner of PA, also not happening because they are closed.

Did we just sit around and pout about it?  No way!  We changed our plans and did something else.  We are the fortunate ones, we still have time to see our dreams of visiting these places become a reality.  We will be in this area for a while yet.  My heart goes out to the folks who don't have the same opportunity as we do ~I'm really sorry ya'll, please don't let it make you bitter.

America is better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment