Monday, August 1, 2016

Oregon: Haystack Rock>>Seaside>>Astoria

Our next destination was a place that had been on my mind for a long time and on my heart most recently...


...Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, Oregon. 

My mom had been out to the west coast years ago, an epic road trip across the country with so many beautiful sights along the way...and Haystack Rock was her favorite.  She told me all about the beach, the giant stones, and the thousands of starfish that covered it in a colorful mosaic of sorts.  I dreamed of one day seeing it with her...


...I miss her so much...

I still can't believe she's really gone. 

Anyway, enough of that or I won't be able to finish this...and I've drug my feet about it long enough.  It's hard ya'll.  Really really hard.  I still can't talk about it, I can barely allow myself to even think about it.  ANYway...

Haystack Rock.  An island, or sea stack, that sits just off the coast of Oregon's Cannon Beach.  At low tide you can walk out to it...at a full moon low tide I wonder if you could maybe even walk all the way around it?  Hmm...maybe.


The day we visited was perfect.  Cool but not cold, low tide, and sunset was only minutes away...


We checked it all out, the tide pools, the rocks, the ocean and sky...







Sea glass was found...now that we know what to look for, we (meaning my kids) find it at pretty much every beach we visit.  Little treasure hunters ;)...


We searched for the Puffins that sometimes nest there on the rocks, but didn't spot any.  They're such pretty birds, we'd love to see some in the wild some day.  We did spot what looked to us like a cave in the side of the Haystack.  Pretty cool...


I don't think any of us was ready to leave, but it was getting dark and we didn't have any flashlights with us...







...so back to the car and back on the road we went.  A quick stop in Seaside for a twirl along the Promenade with Lewis & Clark...







...then we continued on to Astoria, where we would spend the night snuggled up next to the Columbia River...


...the view from our rooms...I see Washington :)!

No comments:

Post a Comment